What is a Medicare Supplement?


Commonly called "Medigap", a Medicare Supplement Insurance helps fill “gaps” in Original Medicare and is sold by private companies. Why is it necessary if I have Medicare? Original Medicare pays approximately 80% of the cost for Medicare covered health care services and supplies. This leaves 20% to be paid by the patent. A Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap) policy can help pay some of the remaining health care costs, like:

✔ Copayments

✔ Coinsurance

✔ Deductibles

Some Medigap policies also cover services that Original Medicare doesn’t cover, like medical care when you travel outside the U.S. If you have Original Medicare and you buy a Medigap policy, here’s what happens:

✔ Medicare will pay its share of the Medicare-approved amount for covered health care costs.

✔ Then, your Medigap policy pays its share.

✔ Medicare Coverage Outside the US may work differently.

✔ Medicare will not cover outside the US but your Medigap policy may.

By completing this form I understand that a licensed agent will reach out to me by phone, text, or email to discuss Medicare Advantage Plans, Medicare Supplement Insurance Plans, or Medicare Part D Plans.

Here is what we will go over in our

1-on-1 meeting

  • A thorough review of what Original Medicare and a Medigap plan covers, their benefits and possible limitations

  • Determine if you are open to an HMO or do you require the ability to see any doctor of your choosing

  • Assure that your plan covers your medications at the lowest possible cost

  • Find plans that are accepted by your physicians.

  • Find plans that are accepted by the hospital of your choice.

© Joanna Gebhart Insurance Services - All Rights Reserved, We do not offer every plan in your area. Currently, we represent 8 organizations which offer 50 products in your area. Please contact Medicare.gov, 1-800-MEDICARE, or your local State Health Insurance Program (SHIP) to get information on all of your options


(760) 218-2980